Keep Cool in the Summer Heat
Keep cool in the summer heat Albuquerque – Summertime in Albuquerque means hot temperatures and lots of air conditioning. To keep your home as cool as possible, here are a few tips:
- Provide effective shade for east and west windows.
- If possible, don’t run heat-generating appliances like the dryer or dishwasher until the evening.
- Don’t let in unwanted heat and humidity during the day. Keep your home closed as much as possible during the day to retain coolness.
- Use ceiling fans as much as possible. They are very effective in keeping rooms cool.
- If possible, consider replacing older air conditioning compressors with more modern, high-efficiency units. These not only work more efficiently, they also help with electricity costs.
- Don’t use a humidifier at the same time your air conditioner is running.
- Close off unused rooms and vents to more effectively cool rooms you do use more often.
- Try to provide shade for your air conditioner, which can increase its efficiency by up to 10%.
- Turn off your air conditioner if you’re gone longer than an hour.
- Don’t forget your pets! Keep your animals indoors if possible, and if they must be outdoors, provide them with plenty of cool water and lots of shade! Don’t leave them in sealed vehicles, even for a few minutes!